[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

status of OWL amidst other standards

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Subject: status of OWL amidst other standards
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:14:26 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type; b=suydRoFb3hief5GJhx05F2uF0ye2Ut0OIn+s1FXzfe06u21491lG3hHqNlX9weqLZIbmqt0X2qDbwQks6RoFlTVW5BrWbExx1t3PZz8B+C12ZVrfyXdIF241qH31puM6cPCoy2qAVYZPP80LbZO30d/yhgmJPs8mNBUKrH31KH4=

owl status
Does anyone have thoughts about the following?
This example below XACML, but it *is* just an example.
I am interested in the relationship between xml -> rdf -> owl
I think this can be divided into two concerns from my point of view but I will just mention the first, that of the position of OWL in the market.
This concerns the status of owl amidst all the competing xmls.
An example would be the following:-
ucml have created a framework demo by Harry Chin called COBRA which is a context aware ontology broker. It allows a mobile client to hold an owl ontology that includes a permissions profile and a server broker to reason that the permisions allow certain types of data to be shared. For instance, suppose I request permision to enter a room in a certain building, I just request by room. The broker does two things. It reasons that the room resides in a particular building and, looking at my profile, it finds I do not have permision for the room, but I do for the building (which at least will get me to the front desk!)
So that is what it return to me. Introducing time makes this more interesting, since I may gain permision to that room only on a certain date, this is returned.
But I have a colleague who, intreaguingly, has told me that he worked on the first implementation of an XACML server. I don't know enough to doubt this, that is whether XACML would cover the same ground, but he tells me this is what XACML does.
There must be many other examples. Thoughts anyone?

Adam

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.