[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

US Keeps Control of Internet's Root Servers

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Subject: US Keeps Control of Internet's Root Servers
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 05:47:32 -0700

internet root servers
Title: US Keeps Control of Internet's Root Servers
I'm curious to see what responses this article brings from this list:

By ignoring calls by some countries to turn oversight over to an international body, this amounts to a change of course.

NEW YORK (AP)--The U.S. government will indefinitely retain oversight of the main computers that control traffic on the Internet, ignoring calls by some countries to turn the function over to an international body, a senior official said Thursday.

The announcement marked a departure from previously stated U.S. policy.

Specifically, this virtually guts ICANN, since the heart or kernel of its influence is removed. I look at the recent flop of the EU Constitution, which was poorly drawn and overwritten, or perhaps for those of us who subscribe to this list, overspecified is probably the better term, and I see a trend. Add to that the likelihood of more speechifying at best following the Big 8 Con this week, despite or perhaps in spite of Live 8, and you get an interesting situation, which is a bit like saying with water at room temperature you get wet, but I don't want to set a position against which to rail, just an observation.

Of the many ramifications of the current quagmire internationally, I suspect that we can expect about two and half more years of steady worsening, and hardening of attitudes as America rolls up its sleeves to play more "hardball."

Anyone for UN Reform? Looks like Demolition Derby to me. Question is: What will this do to the uptake of open standards for some form of interoperability, or has XML already passed the point of no return into the realm of fait accompli?

Ciao,
Rex
-- 
Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design
GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison
Berkeley, CA 94702
Tel: 510-849-2309

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.