[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Service Insurance - Radical Idea? Will It Ever Work?

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: Service Insurance - Radical Idea? Will It Ever Work?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:52:35 -0400
  • Thread-index: AcSkWehYGz++aGkCTd2m8d+7zomyIgEglCHgAB7wzNA=
  • Thread-topic: Service Insurance - Radical Idea? Will It Ever Work?

insurance idea
Yesterday, I sent the e-mail below to the Semantic Web Services listserv, in response to an inquiry involving a Web Service that does not honor its advertised profile and is harmful. The example that was given is the online theft of a credit card number. With service-oriented architecture, organizations are more exposed than ever to the potential of such voliations - which might call for new counter active approaches.

In my response below (beginning with "I see you did not receive a response..." I offered the notion of "service insurance" as an incentive for service providers to "ensure the authenticity, non-harmfulness, and dependability of their services" and thus prevent (or at least lessen the chances of) harm to a service consumer.

Is this a radical idea? Will it ever work? What other means could be used?

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

From: public-sws-ig-request@w... [mailto:public-sws-ig-request@w...] On Behalf Of doeuk.nosing
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 2:19 AM
To: public-sws-ig@w...
Subject: ambiguous match and business transaction

Hi all,

Here is a bunch of questions or purpose that I want to discuss

- Concerning the service Profile …. I read that the service profile permits agents or other programs to check unambiguously the matching between a requested WS and a advertised WS, only with input and output (I don’t really understand how the condition and effect works) … But imagine you can found 2 services that have the input / output, but don’t do the same thing … like this example : You have 2 inputs, 2 Numbers and 1 output, also a number. The service A do input1 ° input2 while the service B do input1 – input2. How a matching algorithm can make a difference between this 2 services (because they have the same input/output) ?

- Concerning business transaction …. Imagine that we have a very nasty Web service A which cheats on his profile. He advertises that he sells computers. It requires an input that is a credit card number in order to process to the paiement. But when the WS will be consumed, it will failed and cancelled the transaction. But it will have my credit card number …. Won’t it ? How to prevent against fakes profile ? (because the choice of a WS is done by programs, it is easy to cheat)

I see you did not receive a response on the above point yet: What this comes down to is electronic trust, and potentially SLAs (service-level agreements). For example, Web Service A is provided by a service provider (that we will call Service Provider A). The service consumer would need to have an SLA with Service Provider A that makes Service Provider A responsible for the authenticity and non-harmful nature of Web Service A.

What is missing in this is something that I foresee a need for in the future - and that is some type of insurance policy (call it "service insurance") by which a service provider can be held liable for damages by a service that they offer (whether the damages be theft of personal information as you describe above, or interruption to business operations if a service is down for longer than the agreed-upon permissible time, etc.). A service consumer would then be entitled to some monetary award by filing a claim with the service insurance provider. This is an incentive for a service provider to ensure the authenticity, non-harmfulness, and dependability of their services. I foresee the existence of this new type of insurance provider within the next 10 years. 

An e-business registry - such as UDDI or ebXML Registry - might also be involved here. In this case, the service consumer would have an SLA with the registry provider, who vouches for the authenticity, non-harmfulness, and dependability of the services within its registry.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Joe Chiusano

Booz | Allen | Hamilton 
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

- Concerning composition of services …. Imagine we are looking for a WS. So we must check the IOPE of a bunch of WS and take the WS that match perfectly my requested WS. But imagine, there is no WS that completely match my requested WS, but they only partially match. Is it possible to compose them? For example: I am looking for a travel, so I want to buy a train ticket and rent a room in  a hotel for 1 week. There are only ticket seller and hotel WS, but there are no WS that can offer the 2. Is there a way to mix these 2 WS in order to buy my complete travel?

Thx a lot for your help

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.