[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

database constraints
If the question is schema the right place to capture constraints I think u nailed it in your post - however - given that constraints have validity periods I don't see database constraints supporting such a mechanism - whether that validity period is driven by a start date , end date or locale based or some other policies, etc is question for an individual application to anwser.

I was trying to address the part of being "wary of constraints" - to me constraints need to be enforced - would i opt for database constraints or declarative constraints based system or procedural constraints or processes - the anwser is it depends on the scenario - each come with tradeoffs.

for example consider the constraint the expiry date should be after effective date - in most scenarios that constraint holds true!

prakash

Michael Kay <michael.h.kay@n...> wrote:
 > The constraints are driven by the organizational policies. If the organizational policies require that employees must be over 16, then they need  to be enforced.  

That's precisely the assumption I was complaining about. If the MD of your subsidiary in Egypt tells you that he has just hired a 14-year-old tea-boy, then in most organizations that I know of it's not the job of the IT department to tell him he shouldn't have done that: IT is the servant, not the master. When the crunch comes, the tea-boy won't be fired (and even if he is, the IT system will have to record the fact).

The way to enforce an organizational policy on recruitment is by having a process for approving all hiring of employees, not by restricting the capabilities of the employee database.

Michael Kay

Do you Yahoo!?
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/100/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/efficiency.html - 100MB free storage!

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.