[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Question for updating existing XML file

updating an xml database
Title: Question for updating existing XML file
Nagging:
Who's to say what XML was "designed for"?  I thought it was designed as a flexible meta-language that would grow and extend into things the original creators never thought of (similar to HTTP, which I am sure TBL never thought about web service and SOAP - but it STILL works :).

I have seen router XML files in the gigabytes (guess they should be smart about partitioning into smaller documents?)  I have seen text documents in the hundreds of megabytes (I suppose they should use SGML). . . and this is a problem people WILL have to address. 

I don't think that using an XML document as a replacement for a database is a particularly good idea

Are you strictly referring to relational databases, with their rigid structures, files systems (which are themselves a data base), maybe a b-tree or hierarchical or network set of structures?  Maybe you have never worked on a project that just wasn't suited for a "structured database", since the data was often one of a kind (heterogeneity), often changing (extensibility), and the data frequently needed to be repurposed for other users downstream (adapatbility).

Solving:
Like the Sedna XML database, NeoCore XMS allows these types of changes in-place, in the database, without the need to round trip the XML to a client machine.  It is as simple as the Sedna database as well, INSERT('<name>Jane</name>','/ND/Entry/name[.="Jon"]')  You can find this database with free, unrestrictive download at http://www.xpriori.com/  And I don't think they tell you how to use it, you can use it for whatever you want, including managing large heterogenous XML documents.

Owen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 10:18 AM
Subject: RE: Question for updating existing XML file

First time posting, new to the list.

How do you update your XML files? 
Example:
  (in a huge XML file...)
  <Entry>
   <name>Jon</name>
  </Entry>

If I want to update the name to Joe, or add another name Jane.  So the node looks like this:
  (in a huge XML file...)
  <Entry>
   <name>Joe</name>
   <name>Jane</name>
  </Entry>

Is there a way to do this kind of update without rewrite the whole file?  My file is about 50MB.  

I wonder whether this is a wise way of using XML. Even with XML databases, most databases are optimized to handle large numbers of small/medium documents rather than a single gigantic one. I don't think that using an XML document as a replacement for a database is a particularly good idea. It's not the job it was designed for.

Michael Kay

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.