[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: An alternative formulation of the document-centric/ data-c

data centric document centric
>Len (to Bob G)

>From <p> to <partno>, information is gained.  In the other direction, it is
>lost.   How does your continuum hypothesis work with that?

I don't see this continuum as a system that has to have forward and reverse gears, but as a model (as with treating time as the fourth dimension) to help determine other things, like appropriate choice of tools.  But first:

>Bob Glushko wrote:

>On one end are pure narrative things and on the other end are purely transactional ones

I've been using the terms "content-oriented" and "transaction-oriented" myself (they're all documents! They're all data!), so I was happy to see Bob use the word "transactional" here. Sean's quantitive approach may have more of a hard-science appeal than heuristics we might throw out (text nodes and element nodes as siblings: content-oriented; data starting or ending up in a DBMS: transaction oriented; etc.).

Back to tool choice: I've been thinking more about a potential correspondence between this dichotomy and the XSD/RelaxNG dichotomy. Look at all the DBMS vendor representatives on the original XSD Working Group, not to mention the e-commerce types (including a former employee of Bob's). Rick Jelliffe recently predicted [1] that  XML Schemas 1.1 would be "slightly more DBMS-oriented and even less publishing-oriented." RelaxNG, on the other hand, is favored by leading proponents of content publishing-oriented document types: DocBook, the TEI, and (the W3C's!) XHTML 2.0 working group. Sean has noticed this correspondence as well [2].

Can the data-DBMS-transactional XML vs. document-content-publishing XML distinction inform decisions about which schema language, and hence tools, are more appropriate for a given system?

Bob

[1] http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4624
[2] http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com/archives/2004_04_18_seanmcgrath_archive.html#108258054931482097

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.