[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

XML Journal System

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: XML Journal System
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:04:46 -0500
  • Thread-index: AcPfVfqne4/XC5pmSJWBkfmK1lmo2w==

xml journal system

Hello, my name is Matt Strum and I am developing a program that uses many techniques to create a journal through XML.  Here is a brief description:

For a long time I have failed to write in my journal so I decided that I would use a digital journal (more exciting and useful for me).  Well, I looked around at many of the commercial and free versions and I couldn't find a suitable journal program for me.  Either the interface was horrible, features were less than none, or the file format could only be read by the individual program.  With a clumsy interface entry writing can be slow, with no features I cannot utilize the new possibilities of a digital journal rather than paper, and with a closed file format I cannot guarantee my journal can be read by other programs (locking you into the individual program).  I decided to make my own program to solve this issue!  Right now, there is only a Windows (.NET architecture) version of the program, but Linux, Mac, and Palm versions are possible because of the XML format the journal is saved to.

This program is called the XML Journal System (XJS).  It is a XML-based journal/diary program. You can open/read/edit/save your journal all from one XML file even with pictures included. A nice feature is that you can export your journal into another file format (currently only HTML) like a blog.  There is a multitude of exporting options which include exporting to a single file or multiple linked files, with pictures or without, with a linked profile page or without, etc. You may create or get custom styles to export to by putting the style files in the Export directory, the program automatically finds and implements them. You have the option of having a 'Default Journal.' This lets you quickly access it or even automatically load the default journal when the program starts. XJS will be in Beta until I end adding major features, which will mark the start of release candidates (which will be speed, size, security, and bug fixes only).  There are many other features, but you get the big picture.

There are many a features I have yet to reveal (like exporting multiple styles and linking them all together, no matter how many and what type, so a user can change style while on the HTML page), so I am not saying a lot about the XML Journal System quite yet.  This program (and standard) will become much more versatile than any blog or journal software on the market.

I currently have 6 XML standards developed for the program: XML Journal Table of Contents (XJTOC), XML Journal Entry Document (XJED), XML Journal Settings Document (XJSD), XML Journal Categories Document (XJCD), XML Journal Profile Document (XJPD), and the XML Journal Style Definition (XStyle).  All six of these standards make it easy for a XML Journal to grow exponentially in size while the program does not slow down.  This is threw the XJTOC, which allows the program to dynamically load journal content rather than the entire journal.

Mainly, this was to test the mailing list, but if you would like to find out more about the XML Journal System go ahead and email me.  Thank you again!

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.