[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Help Needed to Design a JDOM Based XML Parser

jdom help
You may have already seen this as it is in an obvious place:

http://www.jdom.org/downloads/docs.html

You'll find links here to Jason Hunter's three part article from Oracle magazine. The first two parts focus on XML parsing. Should help.

Mike
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 8:33 PM
To: xml-dev@l...
Subject: Help Needed to Design a JDOM Based XML Parser

Hello to all
This is my first ever email to xml-dev and let me admit that i feel myself just a small kid among all experienced and intelligent people. i know that your time is very precious but i would be thankful if somebody could help me start designing an xml parser. your few minutes could be very helpful to me.

I have to design a JDOM based XML Parser. I need a starting point. let me tell you that i am not a professional, am a computing student, having basic knowlege of java programming and little bit of xml. so please treat me accordingly :)

First i would like to concentrate on designing a non validating xml parser (as i think validating one would be far too diff for me..but am not sure). how should i start. what could be the steps towards my goal.

i am pasting what i think i would be doing and i know i am not very clear about my goal so i would be really thankful if somebody could make me clear about all this and guide me a bit so that i could atleast starting walking........Thanks alot
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It should parse an XML file laying in your computer, show very elaborated result, if there is some error it should identify the error with line number and giving details about the error (the error detail should be elaborated and easy to understand) and should allow the user to open that xml file in the editor and rectify that error and save. It should be able to check whether the xml file is well-formed and it should validate it against DTD as well.
It should be able to do the same check against well-formdness and validation of a file present at some server and be able to open it in the editor and rectify the errors and save.
There should be an interface for the application, which should have few menus like File (open, save), Tool (validate or parse), URL (able to parse the file laying on server), Help etc. the file should open in the text area provided in the interface along with line numbers and the results be shown at the bottom. For the functions like open, save, parse etc there should be a tool bar as well having icon for each function.
It should be a full-fledge parser not getting help of another parser just using the JDOM api.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21486/*http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//spsimplenol?.file=ny_ts_splash.html

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.