[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: RE: The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:09:01 +0100
  • Thread-index: AcPDq9yGk3bbyyKoTViNsxYWhWXb4w==
  • Thread-topic: The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

dilbert powerpoint
David Megginson wrote...
> -- I design them to supplement, not to duplicate.  In 
> general, I use slides 
> for things that are hard to grasp aurally:
> 
> - code fragments

But this is a tricky one, anyway, because code fragments (um, well, at least _my_ code fragments) can become large and somewhat unreadable when presented on a slide. This is the one situation where I always want the audience to read the paper before attending the presentation.

I had this problem at a conference recently. I assumed that people in the audience had read the paper, or at least would have the paper handy, but the same morning they told me that there had been problems getting the proceedings out in time... The lesson, of course, is to never assume anything. 

> - illustrations (such as screenshots)

And Dilbert strips, and images of Microsoft management anno 1978. :-)

> - tabular data
> - sequential rules, steps, or guidelines
> 
> I occasionally use them for impact as well, say, by including 
> a famous 
> quotation on a slide rather than reading it aloud.
> 
> My slideshows have always been nearly useless for anyone 
> trying to recreate 
> the content of one of my talks.

Sometimes I suspect that people would need a tape recorder to recreate mine... But yeah, that's the main problem with slides. If there's no paper to accompany the slides, which frequently is the case, I try to write handouts, too. It's the nature of slides; they're there for assisting me during the presentation, IMHO.

Best,

/Ari

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.