[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Defining non-WXS datatypes

Re:  Defining non-WXS datatypes

> I thought I'd spend a little time on this, so I've put together a
> "datatype library language". 

I think this is really great: a light at the end of the tunnel, Jeni!

For completeness, I think you might also need to specify a storage mapping: 
this might be like the normalization mapping, but instead of mapping to a string
it maps to an (IDL?) data structure. 

It would make no difference to a validator, but it might be good for data binding
and for markup minimization opportunities.

On the issue of namespaces, I think it is a mistake not to require explicit prefixes
in the XPaths.  I also think it is a mistake to use the namespace context for the
queries: better to make a Chinese wall separating namespaces used by element
and attribute names, and namespaces used by content: this is what Schematron
does and I think it has worked really well.   No prefix should mean no namespace.
It isn't a favour to users for schema languages to provide too much flexibility in this
area (compare with elementFormDefault of WXS ), because the user cannot
tell immediately whether an unprefixed name is in any namespace--one more thing
to worry about when they need to have one fewer thing.  (Forcing no-prefix=no-namespace
and using separate declarations for namespaces does not reduce expresive power.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.