[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Re: XML-based Automation (Was: Zen or Games?)

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Subject: Re: Re: XML-based Automation (Was: Zen or Games?)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:17:39 -0600 (MDT)

Re: Re:  XML-based Automation (Was: Zen or Games?)
OK, after my rant on automated voice systems, let me play devil's advocate for just a moment- not sure my heart's in it, but I'll give it a try.  

I have gotten equally, if not more, frustrated with human customer support interactions- try calling your medical insurance provider one day for a virtually guaranteed example.
While we carry on about the risks of allowing a computer to make a decision, human judgement is also inherently flawed (look at the decision to go into Iraq- oops- just got political).   

And it's not necessarily due to lack of good information.  The nice thing about computers is that they have no axes to grind other than the ones they have been programmed with, don't suffer from PMS or other emotional disorders and aren't in a bad mood from dealing with the kids and a checkbook that is always in the red. To use Steve's example, if I am coming home drunk and disorderly, my judgement just may fail me at the critical moment when I turn on that light myself.

So, my question is (and it's not entirely tongue in cheek): can automated computer service systems ever hope to provide a level of service  that, while not perfect, is at least in some respects the equal of that provided by the average human customer service interaction?  And what kinds of service scenarios are best left to humans, and what kinds to computers?  I don't necessarily think that only the plebes will get XML automated services, while those who pay will get humans.  I think it will depend on the service type- and the plebes may get the humans who hear voices...

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.