[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

FW: XML websites

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: FW: XML websites
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:02:53 +0200
  • Thread-index: AcMpvktVKeBW/yt8SGy07Z5FInAVtAABmVWwAALugTA=
  • Thread-topic: XML websites

xml websites
Title: Message
sorry. default reply was not the list address...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 1:41 PM
To: 'Dennis D.'
Subject: RE: XML websites

Hi!

I'm using Apache's Cocoon for try a 'real' xml site. The xml is only server side and the main goal is
publicating in different format for web. I think it is very good and need another abstraction of the problem.
But it is very slow (tomcat java engine).

mean
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 12:53 PM
To: xml-dev@l...
Subject: XML websites

Hello:
I have a database application programming background (Oracle SQL+, dbase, MS Access), and have been studying XML for awhile (6 months+). I've seen several case studies (especially at Microsoft) using XML as a legacy database interface, and other applications where XML is being implemented using various application languages.

What I haven't seen is a true XML website; a model. If XML technology is set to become the pervasive programming language of webservers everywhere, then where are the websites? I've seen some examples of web 'pages' using XHTML. Microsoft has enabled MSXML in their browsers, yet I don't see it being used in public websites in the programming code. In fact, Microsoft seems to be using JavaScript (which was originally a Netscape product as you know), and using XML as a database application to build their website. IBM is using an HTML document on it's homepage, but at least it declares a DOCTYPE and references a dtd called ibmxhtml1. W3 is using XHTML1 strict.

Where is XML in this? Where are the true XML websites, and the browser clients that display them?

Why do I ask? I've been building websites for about 7 years (as a hobby). Currently, I have single website of a couple hundred pages, which includes an MS Access database and a message board (written in ASP). I am familiar with CSS, JavaScript, and some other languages which I could combine to construct a website. I want to re-write it using the latest and greatest technology available. I thought that would be XML. Turns out that XHTML is the latest and greatest. It is an interim solution. Worse, it involves a complex conversion process to yield (I suspect) the XHTML pages. Do you know of any true XML websites? I'm sort of at a loss about where I should be going with this. I've taken my site down, studied the content, and I'm left with the builders dilemma; how to redress the architecture (languages, db's, etc.). As a website builder, what model should I be looking toward; Microsoft, IBM, W3C and it's Amaya client?

Respectfully,

Dennis Dickens,
Lakewood, WA, USA

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.