[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

difference xquery xpath
In a message dated 09/05/2003 08:57:54 GMT Daylight Time, mrys@m... writes:

I would also like to point out that the WG takes critique seriously if it comes in through the proper channels,

Michael,

In my experience over several months that is fair comment, although procedurally I guess the WG has to take comments seriously. In general, feedback from the WG has been patient, helpful or factual even when I sometimes asked less than perceptive questions.

although at this stage, there will be a big reluctance to change the language unless

there are real bugs (such as the missing static type to denote untyped complex types) or it can easily be done.

I did sense a tinge of reluctance in Michael Kay's rowing boat analogy. :)

However, also note that there are several people that see XML Schema mentioned
in the documents and just shut down.

<grin/> I guess that is understandable. It is fairly intimidating to come to ten XQuery / XPath 2.0 / XSLT 2.0 documents (~600 pages??) and then to have to go exploring W3C XML Schema specifications - that well-known model of clarity  - as a normative reference as a bonus!

I can see that from an implementor's point of view the question might be simple, "Can I create an XSLT 2.0 processor that doesn't use W3C XML Schema and PSVI?". The answer is equally simple,  I think, "No".

If you would look at the documents closely, you would find – with some bugs as

the one mentioned above – actually works very well on just untyped data. The only major difference in XQuery 1.0 then to the XPath 1.0 behaviour is that one needs to explicitly extract a singleton for function arguments...

I have made the point already on public-qt-comments but I think it bears repeating. Currently it is very difficult for a "doubter" regarding the wisdom of the W3C XML Schema embedding to find a *clear, concise* description in any of the documents of how the author of an XSLT stylesheet who doesn't want to use typing will find their stylesheet behaving.

I appreciate that it may be clear in the WG's eyes. But there are other perspectives, viewed from which it is significantly less clear. I have spent many hours in these drafts over the months and I have some sense of where to go hunting to cross check pieces of the jigsaw. However, I don't think it is realistic to expect an XSLT stylesheet author coming new to these documents to be able to glean the key facts for them about how their untyped stylesheets will and won't run. Something that is clearer, more concise and to a degree pre-digested needs to be provided, in my view.

It seems to me that it is in the WG's own interests effectively to communicate to a wider audience what they *have* achieved, given the fundamental decision re W3C XML Schema.

My sense at the moment is that the stylesheet author's concerns are, or will shortly be, largely accomodated. The XSLT processor implementor's concerns seem to fall into a different category. As I mentioned in an earlier post I see it as entirely possible that a further cycle of simplification will take place, in significant measure because of the imposition of W3C XML Schema.

Andrew Watt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.