[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

Re:  Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

"W. E. Perry" wrote:
> 
> james anderson wrote:
> 
> > Bill de hÓra wrote:
> > > Which 'the abstract data model' would that be?
> >
> > the one in terms of which operations in your processing-environment-of-choice are
> > expressed.
> 
> Petitio principii, I fear.

perhaps, but not in the sense which i suspect you intend.

>    The larger point is that after 5+ years of XML processing a
> significant number of practitioners have discovered (or reaffirmed what they already
> knew) that XML applications are effectively monolithic from the syntactic instance to
> the idiosyncratic output.

perhaps because they presume models (data and processing) which engender
molithic applications.

>    That is the inescapable consequence of a syntactic
> definition of XML--a hard fact which has been lost on, or ignored by, ancillary
> specifications that insist on introducing specious abstractions between the
> syntactically-conformant instance and some processing of it appropriate to a desired
> specific outcome. To induce from the nature of  particular processing some abstract
> data model which appropriately describes an XML input instance as handled by that
> process may be a useful exercise in designing or refining the implementation of that
> process, but it is at best otiose to the XML instance itself, or indeed to other
> processing which might usefully manipulate that instance for other purposes. Grasping
> for such abstractions is the fundamental misconception (some days I am tempted to
> think 'obstinance') which regularly diverts conversations in the XML community from
> XML to not-XML.

yes, it would be possible to process xml with a pencil and a large pad of paper.

please do be more specific. i do, in fact, regret that, over the years no user
has indicated that the model was limiting. could be a social thing.

>     (Parenthetically, I am *very* sorry that Tim Bray might have absented
> himself from this present thread, addressing as it does core issues raised by our
> syntactically-defined standard. Given their fundamental nature, raising those
> questions is never out of order, nor is stare decesis in the name of the Namespaces
> Rec an adequate disposal of them.)

i did not intend that there should have been anything in my notes to imply
some imperative for the encoding rules specified in namespaces in xml.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.