[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re

• To: Bill de hÓra <bill@d...>
  • Subject: RE: On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re: RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 04:40:23 -0800
  • Cc: "Alaric B. Snell" <alaric@a...>,"Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@a...>,<xml-dev@l...>
  • Thread-index: AcLj3MePG+VXzTv3TQ6kE5hyPqExyAAABi87
  • Thread-topic: On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re: RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?)

multiline comments in xml file
*chuckle* 

You must be unfamiliar with program configuration files. Here's what a stereo typical configuration file looks like 

<config>

<!-- here are some settings --> 

<settings />

<!-- examples -->

<more-settings />

<!-- examples, description --> 

<even-more-settings />

</config>

The fact that some programmer decides that since every config block as comments preceding it uses that as significant to the logic in his application is no more the fault of a "badly designed format" than a format is to blame for people who use the existence of uppercase characters in an element name, whitespace delimiting elements or choice of quote character for attributes as significant. 

Sent: Thu 3/6/2003 4:34 AM
To: Dare Obasanjo
Cc: Alaric B. Snell; Rick Jelliffe; xml-dev@l...
Subject: Re:  On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re:  RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?)

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> I'm curious. Have you ever seen a machine.config file? If so I'd like to know why you think config file comments should be placed in an attribute simply because you seem to have some aversion to using certain aspects of XML.
> 
> I can't imagine anything uglier than putting a multiline comment into an attribute simply to satisfy some perverse need to not use XML comments.

Even if what you're saying made any sense, I suspect it'd be
irrelevant. The point is the OP is saying in a roundabout way  'I
have to hack on comments and treat them as not comments to get
something done'. That suggests:

* an abuse of the document
  * a badly designed document

Bill de hÓra

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.