[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Open Source or Else

Re:  Open Source or Else
In a message dated 20/02/2003 20:54:15 GMT Standard Time, clbullar@i... writes:

Keep in mind, the wheel grinds somewhat mindlessly.  It
was observed by one columnist (I don't have the URL) that while
the open source folks want to assert that they are taking on the
BigCos,  it is the small shops that they are putting out of business
in some cases.

I think it will affect both. As economic screws turn then "everyone" has to look harder at whether or not software provides good value.

The point I was making was that in many countries the only legal way on to the software merry-go-round is to use open source software.

Also as the economic screw turns in the USA, UK etc companies will need to look at whether they can afford to stay on the pay-as-you-go software merry-go-round. Companies will need to look for savings to survive or stay healthy. Or be able to stay with commercial software by it providing them with added *business* value.

I don't think I am saying anything radical.

Of course since marketing and evangelist-type ideas are in play we must bear in mind that perceptions and reality may not be identical.

Andrew Watt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.