[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

vijay polina
Title: Message
Do you work for microsoft R & D?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 10:50 PM
Subject: dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

I'm an ex-HTML and ex-Cold Fusion programmer retraining for the future.  I started learning XML technologies and .NET in January 2002 and skipped learning anything about DTDs in favor of learning about Schemas.  However, in reading the last 3 months of the xml-dev posts I find that you all are referring to DTDs a lot in your posts.  Do I need to go back and learn about DTDs?  When will I need to use DTDs instead of Schemas?

I intend to ONLY be in the Microsoft .NET environment and only use C#, ASP.NET, XML (XSLT, XPath, XQuery, SQLXML, Schemas), Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and Access, ADO.NET, web services, Javascript/ECMA and Visual Studio.NET.  I am not using Java and my clients are only running in the Windows 98 or later operating systems, no Unix.  At this point I've got my work cut out just learning the above technologies well, unless you all tell me I need to learn more (what?). 

I also intend to use XHTML wherever possible instead of HTML.  However, it appears to me that Microsoft isn't fully supporting it.  If I remember correctly, one line I wrote in XHTML got "changed" to standard HTML by Visual Studio.NET's editor.  Any comments?  Is XHTML widely supported or do I have to continue using HTML?  I thought standards had moved to favoring XHMTL instead of HTML.

One of my clients asked me to do a multimedia CD project with time lines, audio voice overs, background music, video, and animation.  I finally ended up quoting it in Macromedia technologies (mostly Flash) instead of using the above technologies.  Anything out there that I missed that I could have used to stay true to the programming technologies I want to use (.NET, XML, and the list of technologies above) and still get the job done as well as I could have in Flash?  Please email me in the future if you find something.  I am definitely interested, not just for this one project.

I realize this is an XML forum and apologize for getting off of XML in some of my questions.  I hope I haven't strayed far enough off to offend you, and intend to stick closer to XML technology questions in the future.  Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to provide.  Please feel free to email me directly instead of through the forum if your answer is not related to XML technologies.

Pam Ammond
Empowering You!

Please buy the "Wow! Look At Windows XP" book I wrote at http://www.windowsxpbook.com/

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.