[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Fw: is XML complete?

• To: <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: Fw: is XML complete?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:26:59 +0200

Fw:  is XML complete?
I'm wondering, are there any plans to standartize the XQuery/XSLT2.0 data model with platform specific APIs like was done with the DOM? For instance, will we have an org.w3c.datamodel Java package (or something similar)?
It seems to me that right now the DOM/SAX-based standard for input to XSLT, XPath, etc. is causing a lot of overhead, because each engine is practicly forced to convert the input into a more suitable form (see Xalan's DTM for instance). Perhaps if there was a standartized way to pass a suitable data model to those processors we could avoid the overhead caused by the conversion.

Gal
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: is XML complete?

In a message dated 06/11/2002 19:45:13 GMT Standard Time, jonathan.robie@d... writes:

I agree.

Fortunately, XSL, XPath, and XQuery use the same data model now. I'm very
happy with the changes that will show up in the next round of publication,
which make the document simpler and more readable. This model is quite
similar to the XPath 1.0 data model, with types added.

Jonathan,

I look forward to seeing that next version of the multi-document edition of XQuery/XSLT 2.0/XPath 2.0. I know you can't say "when" but is it close?

I guess we are moving to an XML world with approximately two data models:
1. DOM in the browser for SVG, XHTML etc
2. XQuery/XPath/XSLT/Infoset/AABSABI for the rest

Is that approximately how you see it?

Andrew Watt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.