[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Advanced text searching vs XML??? (was Re: Note

advanced text searching softwares
Title: Message
I hope your employer is encouraging the XQuery WG to get better regular expression support into XQuery 1.0. The WG seem to be rowing back a bit from the Use Case that still (for the moment) says "Full-text Search". I am concerned that the reg exp support may, in the end, be fairly feeble. I hope I am wrong.

XSLT 2.0 is better off since it is expected to have the xsl:analyze-string element to do a reasonable amount of reg exp stuff.

Andrew Watt

I think the main difference between the XSLT 2.0 capability for regular expressions and the XQuery 1.0 capability (matches(), replace(), and tokenize()) is that the xsl:analyze-string construct gives the ability to find non-XML structure in the text and turn it into markup. I think this is definitely a transformation task rather than a query task. For query, people will normally create as much marked-up structure as they can before loading documents into a database.

Certainly, the three functions above met all the XQuery use cases that we identified.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@n...
work: Michael.Kay@s...

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.