[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: The XML 500 word Challenge

word challenge
In a message dated 26/10/2002 23:11:25 GMT Standard Time, mc@x... writes:

I tried such a thing early this year in response to a (similar?) challenge
to product a "No Silver Bullet Manifesto."  See
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200201/msg00965.html

Mike,

Let's, for purposes of illustration, take the first couple of lines of your second paragraph.

"At the most basic level, XML is simply a standardized syntax, or metalanguage for builging languages, for describing labelled trees."

Leaving aside the possibility that some bright spark may choke on your neologism of "builging" :) ... Well, if they don't understand a "metalanguage" (likely for many) then they may well think a builging language is some abstract concept named after Samuel Builging. :)

I would suggest that many Web developers would choke (terminally?) on the term "labelled tree". A (caricature) response might go like this: "What the !*"!)? is a labelled tree? I remember seeing a tree with yellow ribbons on it in that old film but labels? What's this guy talking about? Is he a computer whiz kid or the curator of an arboretum?"

Many will genuinely choke on the term metalanguage too.

So, in my view, you will have lost/bamboozled a significant number of potential readers in the first substantive sentence of your essay.

It wouldn't surprise me if a thought along the lines of "Well, if these guys don't understand such fundamental concepts how the /?!(* can you communicate with them?".

Which is precisely the difficulty I am trying to draw attention to.

XML geeks and the (notional) average Web developer inhabit distinct conceptual and linguistic worlds. It is a major task to try to ease a "typical" Web developer into XML geekdom, in my view. To do that I suggest we have to help the typical Web developer to expand the tiny area of overlap of conceptual worlds.

Communicating effectively is no sinecure.

Andrew Watt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.