[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: URIs == the Web was: Re: quarantining namespaces

dddds

Simon St. Laurent wrote:

> Jonathan Borden writes:
> > Many folks complain that this view conflates "name" and 
> > "locator", yet indeed this so-called conflation is exactly what makes 
> > the Web interesting, and why it uniquely does what it does.
> > 
> > This is the Web's most defining characteristic(IMNSHO).
> 
> Sounds good to me, but what do we do with all those ugly URNs which have
> no locator-nature?
> 
> DDDDS?

If DDDDS takes off, it would breath life into URNs. In the meantime I haven't found them all that useful, nor interesting. I mean, your name is certainly "Simon St. Laurent", and calling you urn:fubar:simonstl doesn't really do much for me unless I have some software that can do something interesting with that string. Software that implemented DDDDS _would_ allow me to do something interesting, but I fear that such software will cost me $$ in some way shape or form. I at least know what my costs are with the current HTTP Web ... cable modem, DNS entries, ISPs etc. and I am prepared to deal with that. I really don't want no stinkin' DDDDS if Michael Mealing's boss wants to charge me $$$ for it (no offense to Michael but let's get serious :-))

Jonathan

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.