[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: XQuery and DTD/Schema?

RE:  XQuery and DTD/Schema?
7/6/2002 2:56:46 PM, "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@m...> wrote:

>-----Original Message----- 
>From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@x...] 
>Sent: Sat 7/6/2002 11:43 AM 
>To: xml-dev@l... 
>Cc: 
>Subject: Re: RE: RE:  XQuery and DTD/Schema?

>I'm sorry but I completely cannot follow your argument. Can you please rephrase it? 
> 
>Basically from what I see the people who care about untyped querying of XML are satisfied with XPath 1.0

I hear  from lots of people who eagerly await "Xquery" for its ability to do joins, its
simple means of formatting the result with XML tags, it's ability to handle a somewhat
richer set of *simple* types than XPath 1.0 (mainly dates), the ability 
(that we will all implement with proprietary extensions) to do data manipulation,
and I think I've heard from a few people who like the wider range of built-in functions
and the ability for users to define functions.  I've never heard anyone pine for the 
ability to reject instances from a query because they didn't validate against
a schema (most use fairly open content models in their storage schemas to make
sure that trivially invalid instances aren't rejected at storage time), and I've
never heard anyone but Jonathan want the ability to ensure that the results of
a query are valid instances of a schema without running them through a validator.

As I understand it, it's more these latter (to me, corner cases) that have occupied most
of the time/energy of the Schema WG for these past three years.  That, again in
my experience talking with potential customers and the field people who talk to
customers, is the source of considerable frustration and bewilderment about W3C XQuery.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.