[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Semantic Web

bbq stratification
Hello Didier,

I am witnessing the most serious adoption of technologies that underpin semweb happening behind the corporate firewall, though with surprisingly little orchestration with respect to future deployment. Then snaking up supply-chains and corporate partners these technologies tend to pose as integration and interoperability tools, as many of the aforementioned technologies are dual use. Problem domain specific semweb applications which are conforming to ROI are emerging in much smaller clumpings, in areas we all know about, like content syndication and management etc etc 

semweb, ( big s | little s ) both demand a lot of technologies to go critical adoption before we start seeing the search engine becoming a major pillar ( as in neat ftrain article ); a patchwork quilt of corporate semwebs may aggregate over lines of commonality; with the resultant stratification that (Bullard, Claude L (Len)) was speaking of; possibly between a commercial grade internet versus a watered down 'public' internet. When we witnessed the web turn from 100% non-commercial to 90% commercial in less then a coupla years I thought we had witnessed the days of altruism banished,  but I was wrong, it would take another 10 years for this to happen.

As for search engines...has anyone mentioned http://www.xmltree.com which indirectly dealt with RDF via rss.

to be direct, I think that semweb is becoming a growing reality as a consequence of certain technologies being adopted; and as we create more semweb-like apps, we will be less inclined to call them that, and just settle for the name 'apps'. Admittedly there are vast swathe of developers who are still tooling themselves up......sometimes i feel like we are all Noah's, building our boats waiting for the meta data seas......

jim fuller

ps: for those who cringed of my use of the word ROI, pls review my BBQ Preposition for some light relief

• References:

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.