[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Partitioning?

solaris raw

Hi Ramin

First and foremost, thanks for your input.

Ramin said:

1)     The XSLT engines on the server and client may not be the same, so you have to be very careful what flavor of XSLT you use. Yes, it was supposed to be all compatible, but in practice, XALAN-J on Solaris and MS-XML on the desktop did things differently. With XSLT 2.0, the gap will get even worse, I imagine.

Didier replies:

You didn’t created XSLT stylesheet that uses the common denominator between these two engines. For example not using the key construct.

Ramin said:

2)     There was too much performance variance on the client. Unfortunately, the server doesn't necessarily know the memory/CPU configuration of the client before sending up raw XML. It seems to me the decision point for whether to do the processing on server vs. client isn't whether the client *has* an XSLT engine, but whether the user experience is enhanced by doing it up there in the desktop. We thought of putting up a sort of 'pre-tester plug-in' up in the client to sniff out performance metrics and communicate it to the server (the way videogames 'pre-test' your graphics card and build a capability profile the first time you run them). Haven't tried that yet.

Didier replies:

So it seems that your XSLT style sheets where quite CPU demanding. The test I made on my side lead me to think that if the XML document to be processed is not too big and the stylesheet having an output quite similar to other web pages, then it seems to work on most PCs. On very slow PCs even sophisticated HTML pages takes some time to render. I discovered that the Microsoft engine is quite running fast enough for most machines (taking into account the XML document size and template matching complexity).

Ramin said:

3)     You get a *lot* of performance boost if you can cache the stylesheet and graphics up in the client. We used a programmable browser cache program we had developed and the performance was much better since you usually only had to download the raw XML data and could retrieve the XSLT stylesheet locally. But since not every client has the cache software, you still have to develop your server code to handle other clients.

Didier replies:

Very good point. I myself discovered that if the server settings are OK, the stylesheet is cached on the client side (by setting the cache parameter for the template). Since the XML document was dynamically created form a database I could cache the XML document but just having the stylesheet parameters properly set improved the overall performance since the Microsoft browser keeps the documents in the cache as specified by the HTTP headers. So my question is: why your team didn’t used the cache parameters to set the Microsoft browser to cache the stylesheet?

Ramin said:

4)     A pragmatic matter: when you're under deadline to build a web-based application, you barely have enough time to finish the server-side code, let alone branch it. Effectively you are writing two applications in one. You can do some clever designs to reduce this work, but it's extra work that would otherwise delay a project, requiring some advanced programming, and may or may not provide a performance boost.

Didier replies:

Ramin it seems that this is a problem we encountered during these “irrational exuberance” times. People thought that programming for the web was a different affair than for other kind of programming task. I often heard the expression “web time” to signify, in fact, sloppy development methods J

Ramin said:

Overall, I think the approach has merit. But the server frameworks have a long way to go before being able to handle this automatically. Until then, you have to roll your own.

Didier replies:

So bottom line, you didn’t got too much help from what’s actually on the shelves.

Many thanks Ramin, Cheers

Didier PH Martin

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.