[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Rationale Behind The PSVI

• To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: Rationale Behind The PSVI
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 03:21:16 -0700
  • Thread-index: AcH8w2lc1TepjdWJR1+KX0JQ9wnBFA==
  • Thread-topic: Rationale Behind The PSVI

psvi stands for
Title: Message
I know I could just ask this of our schema folks at MS but I think this deserves public debate. I am truly curious about the purpose of the PSVI. The XML infoset I can understand was an attempt to create a baseline data model for XML documents so each spec wouldn't go ahead and reinvent its own (like we have now with DOM & XPath).

The PSVI on the other hand doesn't strike me as useful in that manner. Like the W3C XML Schema recommendation which spawned it, it conflates many different issues into one entity including as type information,validation information and default information. However, the PSVI is designed in a manner that is cumbersome for anyone to expose fully either in a push or pull based parser model or in an object model like the DOM or XPath/XQuery.

Secondly it is difficult, nigh impossible to effectively serialize.

So what exactly is the point of the PSVI as it stands in the W3C XML Schema recommendation?

PS: Please when responding don't confuse the concept of an infoset augmented with type information with the PSVI they are similar but different things.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.