[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Open Standards Organization

organization xml
Title: RE: Fwd: (void) XML [expletive deleted]
Since there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the creation of this new organizatoin, I agree that we should all go ahead with the process.  However, using the xml-dev list to discuss this may not be the most appropriate place.  As a result, I have set up a mail group at newxmlgroup@y... (subscribe to newxmlgroup-subscribe@y...) where we can discuss the formation of this new organization, site, etc without being intertwined with unrelated topice.  Once the organization and site have been set up, then an official mailing list (or whatever) will replace this one.

---
Seairth Jacobs
seairth@s...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:11 AM
Subject: Open Standards Organization

Okay, here's where I get to pull a Ross Perot and say that response to the suggestion of creating an alternative open standards organization has been so overwhelming that, against my will, I am forced to pursue it. None of this is entirely true, since I"m actually excited about pursuing this possibility and the response has been significant, but not overwhelming. At the same time, I don't think we need 400,000 people involved to give this a go (4 is more like it).

Based on feedback, I would suggest the following goals (in order of priority):

1) Identify a core set of recommended XML specifications.
2) Identify or create subsets of certain specifications if the existing specs are needlessly complex (starting with XML itself).
3) Create new specs to fill in the gaps.

To this I would add a metagoal:
4) Evangelize the recommended set of specifications or specification subsets to development organizations in order to promote adoption.

Without 4), the whole effort is going to remain an academic exercise. Luckily, a lot of outspoken individuals have expressed interest.

As next steps I would propose the following:
1) Set up a mailing list for discussion among interested parties.
2) Write a manifesto describing the organization's goals and raison d'etre.
3) Create a charter that describes the organization's structure, decision-making procedures, etc. I would use the Apache Group as the model for this, assuming this is appropriate (need to research this more).
4) Create a website where (once again, in order of priority):
    a) The manifesto and initial list of recommended specs can be published.
    b) Collaborative work can be hosted.

I would appreciate any comments, encouragement and offers of help (many thanks already to those who have provided one or more of these). Existing offers to help with hosting and/or web design are hereby gladly accepted (personally I couldn't design a website to save my life). For everyone else, stay tuned...

Cheers,
Matt

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.