[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

• To: <michael.h.kay@n...>,"Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@a...>,<xml-dev@l...>
  • Subject: RE: MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:49:45 -0800
  • Thread-index: AcHSdZsSVxnFq42GTri7Re9gifosNgAX5ucF
  • Thread-topic: MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

RE:  MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32
This is similar to the "round-tripping" argument.  The solution of encoding them as character references is interesting -- it is almost the same as allowing someone to "inline" base64.  I wonder what impact this would have on applications using infoset though.

-----Original Message----- 
Sent: Sat 3/23/2002 6:18 AM 
To: Joshua Allen; 'Rick Jelliffe'; xml-dev@l... 
Cc: 
Subject: RE:  MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

> Why would someone want to use XML if they need to transmit illegal 
	> characters? 

A: "I want to replicate my WebDAV configuration. I want to do this by encoding all the WebDAV properties in an XML file and transmitting that over the network".

B: "You can't represent WebDAV properties in XML, because they can contain characters that XML doesn't support" 

A: "But I wouldn't be so stupid as to use such characters in my WebDAV properties". 

B: "So you're prepared for the replication to fail if I find such a character has somehow got in?" 

A: "No, of course not. The replication is business-critical" 

B: "So I need to write the code to handle this case, even though you promised it would never happen?" 

Write your own ending to the story. 

(Of course there are solutions like using processing instructions or quoted-printable encoding. But I haven't heard any good argument why I shouldn't be able to use XML character references to represent these characters, which would seem a much more natural approach. In any case, the semantics of BEL are at least as well-defined as TAB.)

Michael Kay 
	Software AG 
	home: Michael.H.Kay@n... 
	work: Michael.Kay@s... 

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.