[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: WSIO- With Name

uddi xml document businessentity
Google is an extremely simple and predictable system.  I type in the URL, it 
sends me a search page.  I type in a string, it sends me the addresses of 
documents that contain or relate to that string.  I click on an address, it 
sends me the document.  Not very deep, action wise.  The essence of statelessness 
is that it is all just mail.

"Resources are conceptual objects. **Representations** of them are delivered 
across the web in HTTP messages....web services will use individual data objects 
as endpoints"

What is in the message?  We aren't sending the object.  We are sending a URI, yes?  
We are sending a message to an address, right?  Email.  
We might expect something to be sent back.  Email.

"the whole point of XML: to focus on data interchange instead of software components."

Email.

"UDDI has a concept of a businessEntity representing a corporation. Businesses are identified by UUIDs. The Web-centric way to do this would have been to identify them by URIs."

So this is a haggle over the way names are named?  The fundamental XML nightmare but OK.

"The simplest way to do this would be to make a businessEntity an XML document addressable at a URI like"http://www.uddi.org/businessEntity/ibm.com" or perhaps "http://www.uddi.org/getbusinessEntity?ibm.com".

A document?  

Ok as long as I want to send mail but not make an explicit request for an action.  I have to 
know what that resource does, yes?  I need something like UDDI to tell me.  I don't want to 
have to know how they do it, so I have to orchestrate requests from my side and to do that, 
I have to inspect their public URIs, find a data dictionary (you said resources are data objects) 
yes?  Then once engaged, I have to recognize what any message sent is instructing me to do.  It 
emails me a document.

"Anybody wanting to inspect that business entity would merely point their browser at that URI and look at the businessEntity record. An HTML version could be served to legacy browsers and the XML version to newer ones."

So somewhere somebody sent me an email telling me that they have a URI they want me to inspect, and 
on sending a request, it emails me a document to inspect, yes?  No, it emails me a URI?

or

"UDDI has several get_ methods that operate on data objects such as tModels and business services. These data objects could all be represented by logical XML documents and the methods could be removed. Note how we have substantially simplified the user's access to UDDI information. At the same time we've elevated the importance of XML and XML modeling in the UUDI system."

It doesn't seem to do anything except substitute one naming convention for another.  As for elevating the 
importance of XML, that's a political thing.  I would think the advantage of the URI would simply be to 
reuse the machinery for URI resolution... that is... if I have a way to find out what it is.

"URIs identify resources. Resources are conceptual objects."

URIs are the content of an email.

"First you look up appropriate flights. You get back a URI representing the set of appropriate flights."

A URI?  So one dynamically generated URI represents all of the appropriate flights, yes?  And if I send 
that URI back, your software knows I want to commit?  How?  It sends me a new URI?

len

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:
> 
> That email documents to each other or store the email.

I don't understand. Are you saying that the services that I described
(e.g. Google, BabelFish) email each other documents?

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.