[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: status of "collections" in XPath / XQuery

xpath collections
First of all, I think you'd need to define what a collection is before we go on from there. From what I've seen from the native XML database space, no one is exactly sure if a collection is simply a directory containing many XML documents or more akin to a relational database table.

Since XQuery and XPath are based on formalisms, the concept of what constitutes MUST be well defined before it is included in the specs. So what do you mean by "a collection"?

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #19
I will not have a daughter. She would be as beautiful as she was evil, but
one look at the hero's rugged countenance and she'd betray her own father.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 6:04 AM
Subject: status of "collections" in XPath / XQuery

What is the status of defining "collections" in XPath or XQuery?  The use cases specified by W3C seem to be more
at the "collection" level than specific documents.  It seems that each book in a bibliographies document is better
modeled as a document in a collection called "bibliographies".

Is there thought going on regarding constraints on collections (when they are defined)?  I may want to have all
invoice numbers in a collection be unique.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.