[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Ideas are free (Was - Re: Another reason patents suck)

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:50:55 +1300

ideas are free
hi all
it came to pass that Dave also said:
>>> In particular, the same technique is used in Netscape/Mozilla.  It would
> be interesting to discover who did it first.
> Right on. I thank Microsoft for teaching me that lick, and they would thank
> Netscape.
> And it's pretty likely that the Netscape person saw something like that
> somewhere else and adapted it.
> That's how ideas spread among software designers.
> "Only steal from the best."
> It didn't start with the Web -- it's been going on for a long, long time.
> Just like literature and story-telling. Goes back to the caves.
>
> Dave

and so my lurker's vow of silence is broken. because the way i've always seen it good ideas freely circulate, in the same way that the winds and tides do. always have done so and always will - inspite of the best efforts of the lawyer hordes to tie them down and turn them into property.
ideas don't belong to anyone, least of all those who have them. just listen to those creative minds who most impress us and you'll find somewhere in their work this idea freely expressed. to those of us who work at this software development game this can be a really painfull truth to come to terms with - that our best hacks are not ours, or our boss's, to own, unlike our worst. if they're any good they go out there into the 'wild' and replicate.
such is the beauty of creative thought at it's best that the current efforts to create a bondaged patented version of the net will flounder and fail. i hope.

cheerfully yours
peter

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.