[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

XML and the Real World

• To: xml-dev <xml-dev@l...>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:49:10 -0400

xml in the real world
This came up in the Blueberry debate, but didn't get much discussion:  How many real-world, mission-critical, money-making applications currently depend on XML technology?  My semi-educated guess is:

In "internet commerce" broadly defined, XML is a widely used, perhaps even dominant technology.  In more traditional business to business transactions, traditional EDI rules, and there are numerous pilot projects to *supplement* EDI with XML B2B technology so that the benefits of EDI can be extended to small shops.

In the "information" industry broadly defined (publishing, web sites, portals), a fair amount is really done today.  I suspect that most of us are using or selling XML solutions in this sector.

In manufacturing, XML is being used in prototypes, proof of concept applications, and lots of vertical industry standards discussions, but relatively little day-to-day business depends on it now.  Even the electronics industry, where RosettaNet was an early XML effort, I get the impression that RosettaNet-based processes are just starting to come into production, with significant but modest "real world" milestones set for later this year.

In general, I get the impression that the prototypical response of a real-world Chief Information Officer to XML is something like "Very interesting stuff; we're keeping an eye on it and doing some pilot projects.  When our industry standardizes on a small set of XML vocabularies, we plan to incorporate it into our business processes."

Anybody with hands-on experience care to comment, pro or con, on my semi-educated guesses?  A reference to any articles on this subject would also be appreciated.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.