[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: NPR, Godel, Semantic Web

• To: Mike.Champion@S..., xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 01:09:48 +0600

heuristics godel
Title:

The bigger problem with the SW, as many have noted, is that Gödel will never hava a chance to screw up the works, because he only talks about the incompleteness of CONSISTENT sets of axioms.  Getting consistency in the SW's vast network of RDF metadata will be a monumental problem, and ANYTHING can be proven in with an inconsistent set of axioms (as my poor remaining neurons dimly recall my higher education).
So, at best the SW will have to employ some heuristics for finding useful axioms to feed into a logical inference engine.  Whether this is worth the cost is another matter. 

Yep, I think you've got it here - there won't be one single set of axioms in one inference engine, so the analysis in these terms falls flat. To get the kind of system doing things even vaguely like TimBL talks of, there are going to have to be heuristics liberally scattered throughout the system - after all, there are human nodes in there too.

If I want to book an appointment with an appropriate therapist at 9am in the morning, I should be aware that there's at least a 1% chance of getting a pizza at 10am instead

The sw will of course also provide new ways of talking about what we saw on television (or heard on the radio) last night ;-)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.