[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Ideal XML DB Features (was RE: XML versus Relational Database)

• To: xml-dev@l...
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:03:56 -0500

xml vs db
Title: Ideal XML DB Features (was RE: XML versus Relational Database)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Linda Grimaldi [mailto:grimlinda@e...]
> Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 11:05 AM
> To: Benjamin Franz; xml-dev@l...
> Subject: RE: XML versus Relational Database
>
>
> Would anyone care to itemize the features they consider essential in a
> "decent" XML database?  I have my own, but I am hopelessly biased...

Here's my *personal* list, in rough order of importance/priority, of what an ideal XML DB would support; I'm hopelessly biased too, but Tamino does NOT meet all of them :~)  I would be very interested in discussion of which are most useful, what important features I missed, etc.  (I'm talking about a low-level DB "engine" architecturally similar to Oracle, DB2, etc. not a full-fledged "Applications Server" with content management, revision control, B2B/EAI/etc. integration ... all that is nice, but could be layered on or bundled with the DB engine).

- XML-like storage model - Does the product logically store data in a way that is compatible with the structure of XML, as opposed to forcing a user-defined normalization to RDBMS format?

- XML view or RDBMS data - Does the product allow a dynamic XML  view, or at least an easy way to import into XML, of data in an external RDBMS?

- Transaction support - Is there built-in support for multi-operation transactions that can be committed or rolled back as a unit? 

- XML standards for database definition - If a database schema must be defined, is it easy to import an XML DTD or schema to define the database structure?

- XML standards for for queries - Is Xpath or something very similar supported as an XML query language, and/or is there a firm commitment to support the W3C XML Query language as it evolves?

- XML standards for data manipulation - Is the W3C DOM API supported as a means of accessing and manipulating data in the DB?

- Built-in XSLT - Does the database support XSLT transformation within the database engine (or a query language that allows data transformation on retrieval)?

-Data binding support - Is some tool that generates Java or C++ classes to access and manipulate data supported?

- Advanced text search - Does the query system support advanced text searching features, such as proximity searches, fuzzy searches, stemming, or conceptual searches?

- Dynamic format evolution - Is it easy to change the database definition as the original DTD/schema evolves?

- Extended SQL queries - Is a SQL-based query language with extensions for XML supported as a query language?

- Persistent DOM view - Can the database be viewed/manipulated as a huge persistent DOM object?

- SAX API support        - Is the SAX API supported?

- Data replication - Is there built-in support for geographically distributing databases and keeping them synchronized?

- Validate on Store - Does the DB optionally prevent XML instances that are not valid against a defined DTD/Schema from being stored?

- Xlink, Xinclude, XML Topic Maps, etc. support in the database - Can the database resolve various linking/inclusion directives and return the selected instance and related instances in a single operation?

- Conventional database API support - Does the DB allow the XML data to be accessed -- to the extent logically possible -- via the Microsoft Active-X Data Objects API,  J2EE Connectors, or some other API that will be familiar to experienced database people? 

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.