[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

• To: simonstl@s..., xml-dev@x...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:24:15 -0400

RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?
Title: RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

Simon wrote:

> If the W3C isn't the last stop towards standards,
> I'd leave this up to it. I like the IETF rule of
> two interoperable implementations, but I'm not sure
> it's possible in the time frames the W3C seems to want.

In fact, Tim B-L strongly prefers to have two interoperable implementations. It keeps the IETF people from snickering if something goes wrong. The problem has to do with proving interoperability. I think it would be healthy to see this as a formal requirement.

> I'd suggest soliciting input from the public earlier,
> perhaps by requiring Requirements to go through a
> 'disposition of public comments' period.

The W3C Process Document, which outlines the process used in the W3C, says that Working Drafts must be produced every 3 months to keep the public informed:

<snip source="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/">
At least every three months, a Working Group must publish a (public) Working Draft to keep the community abreast of its progress and to prompt the Working Group to resolve issues in a timely fashion. The first public Working Draft (or release of the document for review beyond the Working Group) must be approved by the Director.

</snip>

If the public is no more than 3 months behind the members, that doesn't seem all that egregrious to me.

The W3C does not, however, require that a Requirements document be published in the same way. The XML Activity does require that a Requirements document exist, but it does not require that this document be published.

FWIW, the Schema requirements have been published since February, 1999 at http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xml-schema-req. The Query requirements are published as a Working Draft, and have been published since January and updated several times since then - the current draft is at http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/xmlquery/xmlquery-req.

Jonathan

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.