[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: sunshine and standards development

• To: Mike.Champion@S...
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:02:38 -0500

len sunshine
Title: RE: sunshine and standards development
Yes.  What Ken North originally asked is if taking XML to
the standards ecology is a good idea to enable contract-based
work which requires citing a standard from a credible standards
organization is a good idea.   It is.  The issue might be one
of expectations.  I would expect it to be better written, austere,
but change nothing in terms of the technology.  In the case of
XML, as has been explained, this is already the case.  You
might have to accept that you would be citing an SGML profile. 
I don't know why that would be a problem other than overcoming
the misinformation currently circulating about SGML profiles.
Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h
-----Original Message-----
 I guess by that definition the W3C is not a "standards organization", never was, never will be. I think you would be more successful looking to the ISO for "real standards" than trying to persuade the W3C of the error of its ways. 

My basic conclusion from reading these threads for the last week or so is that there is room in the XML community for wide-open collaboration to incubate technologies (IETF or OASIS TC's ???), less open collaboration on how to compete in the technology space without imposing undue misery on the industry (the W3C?), and a formal process for creating carved-in-stone standards (ISO?).  Each of these occupies a useful niche in the ecology of the Internet, it's a waste of time to try to get one organization to do it all or to force any organization to live by the rules of a different niche.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.