[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: two little DOM2 questions...

• To: haustein@l...
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 06:38:28 -0700

dom2 live
Stefan Haustein wrote:

> Ray Whitmer wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps the word "unpredictable" might be replaced with "suprising" or "undesirable".
> >
> > Level 1 methods preserve level 1 behavior, including where colon may be used as a
> > non-namespace-delimiting character.  Intermixing level 1 methods with level 2 methods can
> > produce quite unexpected results, which are nonetheless strictly predictable from the spec, I
> > believe.
> >
> > There are some simple cases where I believe intermixing does work, including:
> >
> > 2.  If a level 2 parser produces a level 2 DOM hierarchy, always setting the prefixes in
> > addition to the namespaceURIs, which is then exclusively traversed and manipulated by a level
> > 1 application.
> >
>
> Are you sure? As far as I know, prefixes can have different
> bindings at different levels in the hierarchy, manipulating
> the tree may result in invalid prefixes in DOM1 and DOM2.
> In DOM2 you have a chance to "repair" the prefixes while
> writing out the tree since I know the namespace URI....

Perhaps I have not comprehended exactly what you are asking "Are you sure?" about.

I believe that a level 2 parser operating on a level 2 DOM implementation can easily produce a
tree that a pure level 1 application or a pure level 2 application will find equally satisfying,
as long as each one sticks to the appropriate set of methods -- NS for level 2 and non-NS for
level 1.

The level 1 methods called by the application generally ignore everything but the local name,
which the level 2 parser has correctly produced in the level 2 DOM.  Level 1 mutation methods will
continue to  preserve consistency with respect to this.

The level 2 methods called by the application generally ignore everything but the namespaceURI and
the local name, which, again, the level 2 parser has correctly produced in the level 2 DOM.  Level
2 mutation methods will continue to preserve consistency with respect to this.

> The methods I was talking about were mainly attribute access
> methods. What I would expect is that they use the elment
> namespace as a default. In a plain DOM1 situation, the
> element has no namespace, and DOM1 behavior is preserved.
>
> But in the current specification this is not fixed. Thus,
> the DOM1 read methods will work in most cases, but will
> deliver unpredictable results when I have two attributes
> with the same local name but different namespaces. That
> seems very dangerous to me.

Level 1 methods do not look at the local name or the namespace URI.  They look at the nodename,
which in the case of a level 2 node consists of the prefix and the localname.  This will have been
correctly set up by the level 2 parser.

The parser is the one application that can easily set the hierarchy up so that it is consistent
from both a level 1 and a level 2 perspective.

Level 2 calls which further modify the nodes looking only at namespaceURI + localname for
uniqueness can easily mess it up for a level 1 application.  And the other way around, level 1
calls which modify nodes only looking at the nodename (prefix + localname) for uniqueness can
easily mess it up for level 2 methods.

This means that it is only "dangerous" if you intermix level 1 and level 2 NS calls after the
parser.  You have to pick your model and live with it.  Otherwise, I believe it is not possible to
preserve level 1 compatibility while avoiding all conflicts between the models.  One model has to
win, and given compatibility requirements, that model will be the level 1 model ruling out a level
2 model where namespaceURI + localname is the unique key.

Ray Whitmer
ray@x...

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To unsubscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
unsubscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.