[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Alternatives to the W3C

• To: Miles Sabin <msabin@c...>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:53:38 -0500

Re: Alternatives to the W3C
Miles Sabin wrote:

> Brandt Dainow wrote,
> > SUMMARY:
> > IE 5= 46.6%
> > IE 4= 23.2%
> > NS 4= 25.8%
> > NS 3= 01.5%
> > REST= 02.9%
>
> I still have a gut feeling that 46.6% is unrepresentatively
> high.

I am not surprised. I would say that there is likely a higher number of people who still
have 2.0x and 3.0x browsers on their machines, but these people rarely surf the web and
mostly just use the internet for email. They are not frequent internet users so a simple
poll of random people who say they have "been on the internet" is probably not as accurate
an indicator of the real internet user base than the compilation of web browser hits Mr.
Dainow provided us.

> Incidentally, I gather that AOL have been mailing their
> user base recently, notifying them that the next release of
> the AOL browser will be Netscape rather than IE based. I
> wonder what that switch will do to the stats ...

Hard to say. Either way it does not matter much because both products are mostly clones of
each other with nothing significant to offer either way. There is no compelling choice to
use one or the other unless you have something against MS or AOL. A lot of people dislike
both companies so I guess it is the choice of the lesser of two evils (-:

Tyler

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
Unsubscribe by posting to majordom@i... the message
unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)
unsubscribe xml-dev your-subscribed-email@your-subscribed-address

Please note: New list subscriptions now closed in preparation for transfer to OASIS.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.