[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

• To: Tyler Baker <tyler@i...>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:09:24 +1000

Re: RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

Tyler Baker wrote:

> I agree. In object to element mappings in an application, I have found it useful to think of
> attributes as arguments passed to the constructor of the object you are creating and the child
> elements of the containing element to be the properties of the containing element.

Yes, I think I consider them along similar lines.

> But approach
> number 2 I think is much more extensible since attributes can ony contain primitive type values
> unless of course the attribute is just used as a pointer to some other element.

I asuume that you meant this example:

<chapter>
   <security>u</security>
   <title>Wheeled Armoured Toys</title>
   <para0>
      <security>u</security>
      <para>WATs are your friend...</para>
         <security>u</security>
   </para0>
</chapter>

I agree that it is very extensible and in many cases would be adequate, but I still feel that it
lacks some of the rigidity that atttributes offer - for example what would the status be of the
processing instruction in the following (incomplete) fragment?

<chapter>
   <security>c</security>
   <title>Wheeled Armoured Toys</title>
   <para0>
      <? You can start that baby without a key... ?>
      <security>u</security>

Would it inherit the "c" classification from the ancestor security element or would "u" be applied
because it exists inside the para0 element? Should the application apply the value to everything
that occurs in the parent element, or does the security element act more like a switch? The same
argument can't be made for the evaluation of processing instructions between elements containing an
attribute, because the processing instruction always occurs inside an element, so it can inherit the
value (or lack thereof) from that element.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@a...
       - Einstein

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.