[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Well-formed vs. valid

• To: "'XML-DEV'" <xml-dev@i...>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:58:14 -0800

well formed vs valid
In spit of my recent editorial about markup vs. type systems, I agree with many of the "opposing" statements that have been made. In particular, I agree with the statement about XML 1.0 as a stable base. The base XML spec is really the only stable part of the family at this point, and we should not in fact f*ck with it.

One thing disturbs me, however. Much talk seems to be made about documents or document fragments being useful because they are well-formed. I don't want something well-formed, I want something "valid". Whether validity is determined by reference to a DTD or to a schema of some other kind, I need more than just the lowest-level syntactic conformance to the XML spec. I need to be able to determine that the XML in question conforms to the syntactic and semantic constraints imposed by my application. Furthermore, I don't want to have to rely on implicit knowledge contained within a proprietary parser in order to do so. 

Jeff

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kuantech, Inc.                            http://www.kuantech.com
Jeffrey E. Sussna, Principal                     jes@k...

Distributed Content Architectures for Dynamic Online Applications
-----------------------------------------------------------------

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.