[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Reserved names and documentation

• To: "'XML-DEV'" <xml-dev@i...>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:14:29 -0800

re reserved
I understand that XML names starting in "xml" are reserved. My concern is how people find out what the defined reserved names are, without having to read every XML spec out there. I also have a related, larger concern that the XML universe will quickly become unmanageable. For example, to understand Microsoft's preview release of XML schemas, you need to understand XML Data and DCD. To understand DCD you have to understand RDF. And so on... All these ancillary specs are useful and worthwhile. It is clear that the XML language definition itself is necessary but not sufficient to do meaningful work. The danger is, though, that one will have to keep a pile of specs on one's desk in order to proceed. Perhaps this is no different than having to read several hundred pages of Toolbox Reference in order to write a Macintosh application. Nonetheless, I think it bears thought. Taken together, XML Data + RDF + ICE + WebDAV + whatever else represent a set of Web API's, with XML as the API definition language. Having worked with numerous large API's in the past (Smalltalk, Macintosh Toolbox, MacApp, Win32, etc.), I believe it's critical to try to make these Web API's as coherent and accessible as possible. I would like to encourage a meta-effort to examine and manage how all the generic (as opposed to vertical market) XML-based specs relate to one another.

Jeff

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kuantech, Inc.                            http://www.kuantech.com
Jeffrey E. Sussna, Principal                     jes@k...

Distributed Content Architectures for Dynamic Online Applications
-----------------------------------------------------------------

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@i...)

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.