[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Merging Object Oriented Design and SGML Architectures

• To: "XML Mail List" <xml-dev@i...>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:18:54 +1000

subject about object oriented
Check out  http://www.sil/sgml  website: there are thousands of references and links.

Rick Jelliffe
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xml-dev@i... [mailto:owner-xml-dev@i...]On Behalf Of Amit Rekhi
Sent: Monday, 13 July 1998 14:55
To: XML Mail List
Cc: Rick Jelliffe
Subject: Re: Merging Object Oriented Design and SGML Architectures

Rick,
            Thanx for the info.

> Instead have put in chapter 3 "Software Engineering"  a summary of various
> methodologies used in practise for developing DTDs.

If you could kindly guide me to any URLs regarding Software Engineering Methodologies used for DTDs.

Thanx in advance,

AMIT   

To: XML Mail List <xml-dev@i...>
Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 5:28 PM
Subject: RE: Merging Object Oriented Design and SGML Architectures

The big fat Cue book (I think it is called "Using SGML") has a chapter relating Smalltalk to SGML.

Steve Newcomb has pointed out (reference lost-sorry) that SGML/XML and OO to a large extent have dissimilar goals, in that SGML/XML (i.e. generic markup) are attempts to (allow you to) have your data INDEPENDENT of particular methods while OO is an attempt to bundle methods with data.  However, since the introduction of the PI target in XML, it is better to say that SGML/XML are attempts to (allow you to) have your data in a form which allows multiple methods to be attached.

The big fat Holzer book  (I think it is called "XML Complete") is full of code and analysis relating Java to XML. (But the reviews on amazon.com suggest that it may relate to a superceded version of MSXML too much.)

In a sense, a lot of the questions about OO and XML may already be answered, in that XML/SGML embody a particular document system design methodology (i.e. generalized markup) and because common parsers will be using three APIs:
    * SAX, which XML-DEV contributed to
    * DOM, see http://www.w3.org/TR
    * GROVES: this is the big daddy of them all, and is not so much an API as an analysis of the properties needed for a complete and general SGML/XML/HyTime "parse tree". (In fact any data format whcih can be parsed into a tree with inter-node directed-graph arcs can be represented by GROVE, e.g. CGM the graphics format. Using the same GROVE concept allows navigation languages like Xptr to be defined that can locate particular nodes in the tree, regardless of what notation the tree was parsed from.) The GROVES information is at http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/docs/n1920/html/clause-7.1.html#clause-7.1.4 might be useful place to start.

My big fat book, The XML and SGML Cookbook, does not have much OO in it (intentionally: there is no progamming code in it). Instead have put in chapter 3 "Software Engineering"  a summary of various methodologies used in practise for developing DTDs. This is because once you have the generalized model OK, you can add methods (explicitly by using #FIXED attributes in the DTD, or by invoking a CSS-like stylesheet where there is an element type to contain mthod code or location, or by using PIs.)   So the emphasis is that the more richly and appropriately your data is marked up, the less programming work (including OO analysis and design) there is to do.

There is a widespread feeling in the SGML world that you should mark up data independent of any particular use of it. However, I certainly believe that a good DTD design will be informed by the known and potential uses of the data. In a way it comes down to whether you view XML as a "serialization format" format, where it is just dumping data from a known schema and known application, or whether it is "markup language" where you want to expose interesting and useful information to make life simpler for future software development.

Rick Jelliffe
From: owner-xml-dev@i... [mailto:owner-xml-dev@i...]On Behalf Of Amit Rekhi
Sent: Friday, 10 July 1998 23:12
To: XML Mail List
Subject: Merging Object Oriented Design and SGML Architectures

Hello,
            Could anyone please guide to articles/technical notes regarding OOD and SGML Architectures.
            Any help will be greatly appreciated
            Thanx,

AMIT

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.