Subject:Problems editing XSL Author:Tim Huffam Date:05 Mar 2003 12:58 PM
I've been evaluating SS (4.6 103q on w2kprof) while doing some XSLT development and have resorted back to using my trusty text editor (EditPlus) because of the following 'problem':
- for no apparent reason pieces of the XSL file are being deleted, others changed incorrectly and some moved.
Otherwise SS 4.6 Appears to have great concepts and functionality and I'd love to be able to use something this powerful.
Subject:Re: Bugs editing XSL Author:Minollo I. Date:05 Mar 2003 01:47 PM
The only scenario in which it can happen that the XSLT has been
moved/changed is when you switch to the wysiwyg environment; in that case
we need to reverse engineer your stylesheet, and, even if we are fixing
more and more of the cases in which we can end up doing undesired changes,
it is possible that that happens.
Can you be more specific about the issues you have experienced and possibly
send us a testcase? We are more than willing, as I would guess anyone on
this board will confirm, to work with you and address the problems you are
You may also want to take a second look at the XSLT editor, and play more
with XSLT/XML/XPath auto-completion, debugging, backmapping, scenarios and
other; they will not modify/change your stylesheets, but they will help
much more than what you can find in other editors.
Hmmm, I'm guessing this is what has happened as I did go into the WYSIWYG editor to view it - however I still strongly think it should not have changed the XSL - as I did no changes in the WYSIWYG editor - the only instance I would expect any changes to the XSL would be if I had made changes.
Even if it was valid to make changes - the changes it made were quite wrong and very strange. Some tags had their contents removed, one tag's content were moved and changed incorrectly, and a couple of block of XSL was removed leaving the document very invalid ie the block wasn't just one tag from start to finish but rather just an arbitary section starting from the middle of one line and ending at the end of another.
I've got a copy of the corrupt file. But not of the original (I'm still working on fixing it!). I could give it to you but without a good explanation it's probably useless - and at the moment I don't have the time to document.
I'll take your word it's not a bug and have changed this topics title accordingly.
Subject:Re: Problemss editing XSL Author:Minollo I. Date:05 Mar 2003 04:18 PM
>Hmmm, I'm guessing this is what has happened as I did go into the WYSIWYG
>editor to view it - however I still strongly think it should not have
>changed the XSL - as I did no changes in the WYSIWYG editor - the only
>instance I would expect any changes to the XSL would be if I had made changes.
We agree on this point. It shouldn't happen. Life is rarely perfect.
>I've got a copy of the corrupt file. But not of the original (I'm still
>working on fixing it!). I could give it to you but without a good
>explanation it's probably useless - and at the moment I don't have the
>time to document.
We don't need documentation; the XSLT file itself would be fine for us, and
we would use it only to replicate the problem so that we can understand
where the issue is.
The WYSIWYG process is pretty complicated; we render your stylesheet
through the processor, adding information that we can then use in the IE
canvas to know what you are trying to edit and how to rebuild the XSLT on
the way out. As the XSLT structures that users can choose to obtain the
same result are many, we do our best to avoid un-needed modifications on
the XSLT source; but in some cases our reverse engineering process may fail
and cause the problems you have reported.
I don't know if this is what you would consider a "good explanation", but
that's the best I can do without entering in more technical details.
>I'll take your word it's not a bug and have changed this topics title
I don't think I've hidden in any part of my response that we don't consider
this a correct behavior; we always interpret a "problem" caused by the
product as either a bug or a missing functionality. In this case you have
most definitely hit a bug.